The Republican State Enterprise "National Institute of Intellectual Property" (hereinafter - the Institute) was established according to the Resolution of the Government of the Republic of Kazakhstan № 756 dated July 11, 2002.
The Institute is the successor of the national patent office established on June 23, 1992 by the Decree of the President of the Republic of Kazakhstan № 806 "On the National Patent Office under the Cabinet of Ministers of the Republic of Kazakhstan".
Full name of the Institute in Kazakh - Қазақстан Республикасы Әділет министрлігінің "Ұлттық зияткерлік меншік институты" шаруашылық жүргізу құқығындағы республикалық мемлекеттік кәсіпорны; abbreviated name - "ҰЗМИ" РМК.
Full name of the Institute in Russian is Республиканское государственное предприятие на праве хозяйственного ведения «Национальный институт интеллектуальной собственности» Министерства юстиции Республики Казахстан; abbreviated name - РГП "НИИС".
Full name in English is National Institute of Intellectual Property; abbreviated name - NIIP.
The Institute is a legal entity, has an independent balance, a seal with a depiction of the State coat of arms of the Republic of Kazakhstan and its name, forms, trademark (service mark) and other details of the legal entity.
The Institute is a subordinate organization of the Ministry of Justice of the Republic of Kazakhstan.
The Institute on its own behalf acquires property and non-property rights and incurs obligations, acts as a plaintiff and defendant in court.
The Institute is located in Astana. Location address: Korgalzhyn highway, building 3B, Astana city, 010000, Republic of Kazakhstan.
The purpose of the Institute is to provide expert services to individuals and legal entities on basic activities.
The Institute carries out the following main activities:
- examines applications for the grant of a patent for an invention, utility model, industrial prototype; applications for the state registration of a trademark, service mark, appellation of origin and the granting of an exclusive right to it, as well as applications for the grant of an exclusive right to the previously registered name of the place of origin of the goods and, on their results, prepares expert reports;
- examines the agreements on the disposal of exclusive rights to specified intellectual property objects;
- considers applications, requests relating to the extension of the term of the exclusive right to the specified objects of intellectual property;
- makes entries in the State Register of Inventions of the Republic of Kazakhstan, the State Register of Utility Models of the Republic of Kazakhstan, the State Register of Industrial Prototypes of the Republic of Kazakhstan, the State Register of Trademarks of the Republic of Kazakhstan, the State Register of Appellations of Origin of Goods of the Republic of Kazakhstan;
- carries out technical registration of protection documents and their duplicates;
- ensures the issuance of an official bulletin;
- takes part in international cooperation in the field of legal protection of intellectual property, including:
- performs work on international applications in accordance with the Patent Cooperation Treaty;
- performs work on international applications in accordance with the Madrid Agreement on the International Registration of Marks and the Protocol to the Madrid Agreement concerning the international registration of marks;
- performs works within the international cooperation with WIPO, with patent offices of other countries, and other international organizations on issues within the competence of the Institute.